EXECUTIVE ORDER 89-09
CREATING THE INTERAGENCY COMMITTEE OF STATE EMPLOYED WOMEN
WHEREAS, it has been the policy of state government to provide equal opportunities to all employees in state government, and
WHEREAS, women employed in state government have unique and special problems with working conditions and accessing employment opportunities, and
WHEREAS, the Interagency Committee on the Status of Women has provided opportunities for women in state government and has identified the continuing needs of state employed women and
WHEREAS, I believe that it is good public policy to enhance the opportunities which allow women to fully participate in the work force of state government, and
WHEREAS, I reaffirm my support of the Interagency Committee on the Status of Women and recognize the need for greater representation of women in state government.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Booth Gardner, Governor of the State of Washington by virtue of the authority vested in me, do hereby reorganize and rename the Interagency Committee on the Status of Women to the Interagency Committee of State Employed Women.
1. The Committee shall examine and define issues pertaining to the rights and needs of women employed in state government and make recommendations to the Governor and state agencies with respect to desirable changes in program and law especially in the area of education, training, career development, and other conditions of employment.
2. The Committee shall further advise such state government agencies on the development and implementation of comprehensive and coordinated policies, plans and programs focusing on the special problems and needs of women in state government.
3. Each state department and agency shall provide appropriate and reasonable resources to the Committee as needed in order that the Committee may carry out the purposes of this Executive Order.
4. A majority of the Members shall constitute a quorum for the purpose of conducting business.
B. COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIP
1. One woman representative from each state agency or institution of higher education employing not less than 25 women. Agencies employing more than 2,000 women shall select one representative for every 2,000 women employed.
2. Persons appointed shall serve two year terms except in the case of a vacancy in which event appointment shall be for the remainder of the unexpired term for which the vacancy occurs.
3. The Committee shall come into existence effective November 7, 1989.
4. Committee Members expenses shall be borne by the employing agency
5. The Chair of the Committee shall be appointed by the Governor and serve at the Governor's pleasure. Meetings of the Committee shall be at the call of the Chair or a majority of the Members of the Committee.
1. The Governor shall provide support services as deemed necessary.
2. The Committee shall have the authority to receive such gifts, grants and endowments from public or private sources as may be made from time to time or otherwise for the use and benefit or the purposes of the Committee and to expend the same or any income therefrom according to the terms of said gifts, grants or endowments.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto
set my hand and caused the seal of the State
of Washington to be affixed at Olympia
this 6th day of November A.D., Nineteen hundred and eighty-nine.
Governor of Washington
BY THE GOVERNOR:
Secretary of State
Back to Executive Orders Archive