Infection with the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), the retrovirus responsible for AIDS, is one of the most significant public health issues facing Washington State. Government, private industry, schools and citizens must each do their part to prevent the spread of infection and to assure the availability of humane social and health care to infected individuals. The Governor's Task Force on AIDS will help improve cooperation between diverse segments of the community in preventing AIDS by raising public awareness of the crisis and by improving services to those already infected.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Booth Gardner, Governor of the State of Washington, do hereby establish the Governor's Task Force on AIDS, as follows:
A. The Task Force shall be composed of not more than twenty members, to be appointed by the Governor. The Secretary, Department of Social and Health Services shall serve as Chair. A majority of the Task Force shall constitute a quorum and a majority of those present can approve Task Force action.
B. Members of the Task Force shall represent public health, state government, school educators, citizens groups, and other interested persons.
C. The Task Force will have seven primary responsibilities:
1. To provide information about AIDS to the public and the Governor and to assist the Governor in the preparation of AIDS-related policies and programs.
2. To advise the Governor on issues related to AIDS, including but not limited to HIV testing; continuum of care; financing of care; civil/human rights; and education.
3. To develop and propose to the Governor legislative initiatives for 1988 and beyond.
4. To review and comment on proposed state legislation.
5. To provide the Governor with the latest epidemiologic information on AIDS and its anticipated impact on the state.
6. To be available to advise the Governor on specific AIDS-related questions.
7. To provide the Governor with a forum in which to debate issues surrounding AIDS.
D. Administration. The Task Force will be administered through the Department of Social and Health Services with support staff from the Department of Social and Health Services.
E. The Governor's Task Force on AIDS created by this Executive Order shall complete its responsibilities prior to December 31, 1988, and will automatically cease operation and be disbanded on January 1, 1989.
F. This Executive Order is effective immediately.
have hereunto set
my hand and caused the seal of the State of
Washington to be affixed at Olympia this
18th day of July A.D., Nineteen hundred and eighty-seven.
Secretary of State
Back to Executive Orders Archive