Chapter 470, Laws of 1985, will consolidate two state-level fire protection programs into one agency. In my partial veto of that law, I emphasized my desire to locate the fire protection functions within an exiting executive agency and stated the desirability of having that agency seek advice from a board that has knowledge of fire protection services. I also stated my intention to propose to the Legislature, amendments which would bring the new law into compliance, with these management principles. Lastly, the Legislature did not Include a red of the current statutory designation for the State Fire Marshal; this designation will expire on January 1, 1986. As a result, there is no specific legal authority for the succession of this critical position.
This Order establishes the executive intent for implementation of Chapter 470, Laws of 1985, until such time as the Legislature acts on my proposed amendments to Chapter 470, Laws of 1985.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Booth Gardner, Governor of the State of Washington, by virtue of the power vested In me, do hereby declare that beginning on January 1, 1986:
1. The position currently titled as Director, Office of the State Fire Marshal under the State Insurance Commissioner will serve as the State Fire Marshal after December 31, 1985.
2. The appointed members of the State Fire Protection Board will work with the State Fire Marshal Director of Fire Service Training, and the Director of Community Development pertaining to fire protection.
3. The Department of Community Development will be the receiving administrative jurisdiction and agency for the purpose of the transfer language contained In Sections 28 and 29 of Chapter 470, Laws of 1985, pertaining to the State Fire Marshal program within the Office of the Insurance Commissioner.
4. The Department of Community Development will be the receiving administrative Jurisdiction and agency for the purpose of the transfer language contained in Sections 32 and 33 of Chapter 470, Laws of 1985, pertaining to the Fire Service Training Program within the Commission for Vocational Education.
5. The Director of the Office of Financial Management, under the authority In Chapter 43.88 RCW and Chapter 470, Laws of 1985, shall certify the necessary transfers and apportionments from the State Insurance Commissioner and the Commissioner for Vocational Education to the Department of Community Development solely for activities under Chapter 470, Laws of 1985.
6. The State Fire Protection Board, through the administrative functions of the Department of Community Development, shall request the State Personnel Board to authorize the position designated as the Fire Marshal to be exempt from the provisions of Chapter 41.06 RCW, the State Civil Service Act. The exempt position will be used to carry out the Intent of this Executive Order and Chapter 470, Laws of 1985.
7. This Executive Order will continue in effect until the Legislature acts to amend Chapter 470, Laws of 1985, but In no event later than April 1, 1986.
have hereunto set
my hand and caused the seal of the State of
Washington to be affixed at Olympia this
24th day of December A.D., Nineteen hundred and eighty-five.
Acting Deputy Secretary of State
Back to Executive Orders Archive