WHEREAS, the people of the state of Washington have suffered disproportionately from the impact of the Mount St. Helens disaster; and
WHEREAS, local governments are plagued with burdensome federal forms and compliance requirements to obtain assistance authorized by Congress; and
WHEREAS, the State is responsible to assist local governments and citizens in times of dire need; and
WHEREAS, state agencies exist which have statutory responsibility to aid local governments and citizens affected by disaster situations.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, John D. Spellman, Governor of the state of Washington order:
1. That the office of Emergency Services and the Planning and Community Affairs Agency cooperatively plan to assist citizens and local governments to avail themselves of available federal assistance.
2. That the Planning and Community Affairs Agency assign a qualified professional to assist local governments in the preparation of federal applications for federal assistance.
3. That the Office of Emergency Services cooperate with federal and local officials in their efforts to obtain disaster relief funds.
4. That both agencies assign staff to the affected local areas to facilitate needed technical assistance.
5. That both agencies prepare a report to me by January 30, 1981, outlining their planned actions. That each agency report to my Executive Assistant on a monthly basis following January, 1981 their efforts, successes and problems.
have hereunto set
my hand and caused the seal of the State of
Washington to be affixed at Olympia this
14th day of January A.D., Nineteen hundred and eighty-one.
Secretary of State
Back to Executive Orders Archive