WHEREAS, as an employer, state government has a continuing responsibility to set an example of equal employment practices, and
WHEREAS, analysis of current state government employment shows under-representation of women, ethnic minorities, and handicapped persons in certain geographical areas and/or agencies and within various job classifications, particularly those at higher pay ranges, and
WHEREAS, corrective action is necessary as a method of achieving an employment profile in state government which is representative of our diverse society,
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Dixy Lee Ray, Governor of the State of Washington, by virtue of the power vested in me, Affirm my commitment to attain equal employment opportunity for all, to ensure freedom from discrimination based upon race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, marital status, or the presence of a physical, sensory, or mental handicap, in accordance with state laws and public policy,
Direct that affirmative action continue to improve the employment opportunities of under-represented protected groups in all aspects of employment,
Direct that barriers to employment of the handicapped be eliminated and that reasonable accommodations be made to ensure the inclusion of handicapped individuals in the work force.
A. In order to achieve full agency participation in this effort, I am instructing the Secretary, Director, President, or Chairman of state agency to:
1. Develop a policy statement reaffirming and strengthening the agency's commitment to ensure that equal employment opportunities exist within the agency, in accordance with RCW 49.60.
2. Establish and maintain an affirmative action program for the agency which addresses under-utilization of protected groups. Each agency program plan shall include specific goals and objectives with target dates and supportive systems, and shall comply with Chapter 162-18 WAC.
3. Appoint an official, from existing staff at the Assistant Secretary, Deputy Director, Vice-President, Vice Chairman or equivalent level who will be responsible for the development, implementation, and supervision of the agency's affirmative action program. The name and title of the person designated shall be reported to the Department of.Personnel or the Higher Education Personnel Board by February 15, 1978.
B. I have assigned the following responsibilities to assist in the development, implementation and updating of affirmative action programs:
1. The Department of Personnel and the Higher Education Personnel Board shall:
a. Provide agencies with guidelines and assistance for establishing and implementing an affirmative action program, such guidelines to be in accordance with the above-referenced state laws and regulations.
b. Develop a reporting system for monitoring and evaluating the progress to each agency and higher education institution toward achieving its goals, in cooperation with the Governor's Affirmative Action Review and Evaluation Committee.
2. The Human Rights Commission shall:
a. Evaluate affirmative action guidelines to ensure equity and compliance with state and federal regulations and law.
b. Enforce Chapter 49.60 RCW to ensure compliance with the content and spirit of this Executive Order.
c. Provide technical assistance and advice to agencies and officers of state government upon request.
3. The office of the Governor will assess affirmative action program plans and progress reports submitted through the Department of Personnel and the Higher 'Education Personnel Board after considering recommendations of the Governor's Affirmative Action Review and Evaluation Committee and the advice of commissions and other advisory groups concerned with issues affecting protected groups interested in the overall affirmative action progress in state government.
All of the provisions of Executive Order 72-07 are hereby rescinded and revoked.
have hereunto set
my hand and caused the seal of the State of
Washington to be affixed at Olympia this
18th day of January A.D., Nineteen hundred and seventy-eight.
Dixy Lee Ray
Assistant Secretary of State
Back to Executive Orders Archive