With the enactment of Chapter 108, 2nd extraordinary session, laws of 1976, the State of Washington has proceeded further toward the development of a comprehensive state policy for all forms and uses of energy. To adequately identify, prepare, and carry out basic energy objectives requires the consideration, participation and guidance of both public and private elements involved in energy production, distribution, and utilization in our state. This is particularly true with regard to the preparation of energy emergency contingency and allocation plans for dealing with energy shortages, both within the state and in a regional or national setting.
The creation of an advisory council will allow for energy policies, practices and programs to be developed and analyzed by citizens, in a manner which meets the objectives of the new legislation and which can be coordinated with regional and national energy programs.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Daniel J. Evans, Governor of the State of Washington. do hereby establish a State Energy Advisory Council within the Washington State Energy Office to serve until such time as the legislature creates a permanent council.
The Council will have the following responsibilities:
1. To review programs and policies of the State Energy Office and act as a source of innovative ideas and policy approaches in energy matters.
2. To develop and recommend to the Governor and State Energy Office proposed legislation on energy matters.
3. To receive and assess the views of the public on energy matters.
4. To make recommendations to the Governor and the State Energy Office for appropriate emergency curtailment and/or allocation plans and procedures to be used in the event of an energy alert or energy emergency.
5. To advise the Governor and the State Energy Office when energy supply conditions require execution of an energy alert or energy emergency curtailment and/or allocation procedures, and also when such procedures can prudently be terminated.
The director of the State Energy Office is hereby authorized to budget for and provide compensation to the members of the Council at the rate of twenty-five dollars per day for each day engaged in the business of the Council and to provide reimbursement for necessary travel expenses. In addition, the director shall provide adequate administrative and technical support to the Council in the performance of its functions.
have hereunto set
my hand and caused the seal of the State of
Washington to be affixed at Olympia this
30th day of June A.D., Nineteen hundred and seventy-six.
Daniel J. Evans
Secretary of State
Back to Executive Orders Archive