WHEREAS, the increasing incidence of crime in the State of Washington threatens the peace, security and general welfare of the State and its citizens; and
WHEREAS, our ability to create an environment with protective services to insure the greater safety of our citizens and property of the State depends upon a more effective law enforcement activity, crime prevention programs, and other elements of an approved law enforcement program; and
WHEREAS, the Congress of the United States enacted on June 19, 1968, the Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of 1968 with a declared policy to assist State and local governments in strengthening and improving law enforcement at every level; and
WHEREAS, it is incumbent upon the State of Washington to prepare for a more adequate law enforcement program by preparing and adopting a comprehensive State plan for law enforcement; and
WHEREAS, Section 203 of Title I of this Act requires the designation by the Governor of the State of a planning agency subject to his jurisdiction to be responsible for the development of a State comprehensive plan for law enforcement which shall be representative of law enforcement agencies of the State and of the units of general local government within the State to:
1. Develop a comprehensive state-wide plan for the improvement of law enforcement throughout the State;
2. Define, develop and correlate programs and projects for the State and the units of general local government in the State; and
3. Establish priorities for the improvement in law enforcement throughout the State.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Daniel J. Evans, by virtue of the authority vested in me as Governor of the State of Washington, do hereby proclaim the following Executive Order:
1. The Office of the Governor is hereby designated as the Planning Agency responsible for the development and administration of a comprehensive state plan for improved law enforcement and the administration of the provisions of Title I of the Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of 1968.
2. A state committee advisory to the Governor shall be appointed to assist in the development of the comprehensive state plan for improved law enforcement which advisory committee shall be representative of law enforcement agencies of the State, of units of general local government within the state and of the citizens of the state.
3. The development and administration of Title I of the Omnibus Crime Control and Safe Streets Act of 1968 shall be accomplished with the technical assistance and direct involvement of the State Planning and Community Affairs Agency of the State of Washington. This Agency's legislative mandate to expand the State's participation in working out the complex community problems facing the State makes it an appropriate vehicle to support the development and carrying out of the State Comprehensive Plan for law enforcement.
have hereunto set
my hand and caused the seal of the State of
Washington to be affixed at Olympia this
16th day of July A.D., Nineteen hundred and sixty-eight.
Daniel J. Evans
Secretary of State
Back to Executive Orders Archive