EXECUTIVE ORDER EO 82-21
ESTABLISHING THE GOVERNOR'S JUVENILE JUSTICE ADVISORY COMMITTEE
The Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention Act of 1974, as amended in 1980 (P.L. 96-509), established a Federal program for the purpose of assisting states in dealing with the problems of juveniles and the Juvenile justice system. As a condition of receiving Federal funds, Section 223 of Title II of the Act requires the Governor of each state to appoint a juvenile justice advisory group.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, John Spellman, Governor of the state of Washington, by virtue of the authority vested in me, do hereby order the following:
1. There is established a Governor's Juvenile Justice Advisory Committee, with membership to conform to the requirements of the Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention Act of 1974, as amended. The presiding officer and other members of the Committee shall be appointed by the Governor and serve at his pleasure.
2. The Governor's Juvenile Justice Advisory Committee shall serve in an advisory capacity to the Governor as required by Federal law. The Committee shall establish priorities for the granting of Federal juvenile delinquency and delinquency prevention funds. The Committee shall submit its recommendations for improvement of the juvenile system, at least annually, to the Secretary of the Department of Social and Health Services for review and comment, to the Governor, and to the Legislature.
3. Subject to the availability of Federal funds, the Department of Social and Health Services shall provide staff support for the Committee in order to:
(a) provide analysis of juvenile delinquency problems;
(b) develop and coordinate programs under the comprehensive plans;
(c) administer grants and other financial and technical assistance to eligible applicants; and
(d) carry out such other responsibilities, including administrative support activities, as requested, to enable the Committee to perform its functions.
4. The Committee shall operate under by-laws, and may receive such per them and reimbursement for travel expenses as authorized by law.
5. Executive Order 75-04 is hereby rescinded.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto
set my hand and caused the seal of the State
of Washington to be affixed at Olympia
this 4th day of November A.D., Nineteen hundred and eighty-two.
Governor of Washington
BY THE GOVERNOR:
Assistant Secretary of
Back to Executive Orders Archive