WHEREAS, state government activities should be organized in a manner which is responsive to the needs of the public, which is understood by and easily accessible to citizens, and which promotes economy and prevents duplication of effort, and
WHEREAS, there is a need within the executive branch for improved coordination of policy and budget development in the areas of law and justice, employment and training, and intergovernmental relations, and
WHEREAS, the administration of criminal justice, employment and training and local government assistance programs within the state is fragmented among a number of state agencies, creating a need to begin the process of consolidating related program areas, and
WHEREAS, in recognition of the important relationships between state government and the political subdivisions of the state and particularly cities and counties, there is a need to assure that existence of a focal a agency within the Office of the Governor responsible for maintaining cooperative intergovernmental relations without such agency being burdened with administrative responsibilities not directly related to its purposes, and
WHEREAS, in light of the foregoing, the efficient, effective and responsive delivery of services requires that various responsibilities within the Office of the Governor be reassigned.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Dixy Lee Ray, Governor of the State of Washington, do hereby proclaim the following Executive Order:
1. Commencing May 1, 1978, the duties, responsibilities and functions of the Planning and Community Affairs Agency associated with the Comprehensive Employment and Training Act shall be assigned to the Department of Employment Security and the Department of Employment Security is hereby designated as the appropriate agency to carry out that program pursuant to P.L. 93-203 as amended, and RCW 43.06.120, Chapter 39.28 RCW and other applicable statutes.
2. Commencing May 1, 1978, the duties, responsibilities and functions of the Planning and Community Affairs Agency associated with the Law and Justice Planning Office shall be assigned to the Office of Financial Management and the Office of Financial Management is hereby designated as One appropriate agency to carry out that program pursuant to P.L. 90-351 as amended, and RCW 43.06.120, Chapter 39.28 RCW and other applicable statutes.
3. The use of the title Office of Community Development shall cease commencing May 1, 1978. All functions and responsibilities of that entity not herein reassigned including but not limited to the development of an urban policy shall continue to be carried out by the Planning and Community Affairs Agency pursuant to Chapter 43.63.A RCW and 43.06.110 RCW.
4. The Commissioner of the Department of Employment Security, the Director of the Office of Financial Management, and the Director of the Planning and Community Affairs Agency shall develop and enter into such interagency agreements as are necessary to effect the assignments set forth above.
5. This Executive Order supersedes all previously promulgated executive orders which conflict in whole or in part with this order to the extent of such conflict.
have hereunto set
my hand and caused the seal of the State of
Washington to be affixed at Olympia this
20th day of April A.D., Nineteen hundred and seventy-eight.
Dixy Lee Ray
Secretary of State
Back to Executive Orders Archive