WHEREAS, it is the public policy of the State of Washington that comprehensive planning is necessary for promoting, maintaining and assuring a high level of health for all citizens of the state; and
WHEREAS, the National Health Planning and Resources Development Act of 1974 provides for the creation of a network of area-wide health systems agencies and for the designation by the Governor of a single state agency for health planning and development.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Dixy Lee Ray, by virtue of the authority vested in me as Governor of the State of Washington, do hereby proclaim the following Executive Order:
1. The Department of Social and Health Services is hereby designated, effective July 1, 1977, as the state health planning and development agency to administer the state administrative program prescribed by Section 1552 and to carry out the state's health planning and development functions prescribed by Section 1523 of the National Health Planning and Resources Development Act (P.L. 93-641), as now or hereafter amended.
2. The Secretary of the Department of Social and Health Services is authorized to take any steps necessary to qualify for federal and any other funds to carry out the purposes of this Executive Order. The Secretary is also authorized to carry out all duties and responsibilities required by P.L. 93-641 and by regulations promulgated pursuant thereto.
3. As the state's health planning and development agency, the Department of Social and Health Services shall have the authority to carry out the following functions:
a. Conduct the health planning activities of the state and implement those parts of the State Health Plan and the plans of the health systems agencies within the state which relate to the government of the state.
b. Prepare and review and revise as necessary a preliminary state health plan made up of plans developed by the health systems agencies within the state.
c. Assist the Statewide Health Coordinating Council of the state in the review of the state medical facilities plan and in the performance of its functions generally.
d. Serve as the designated planning agency of the state for the purpose of Section 1122 of the Social Security Act and administer a State Certificate of Need Program which applies to new institutional health services proposed to be offered or developed within the state.
e. Make findings as to the need for new institutional health services.
f. Review on a periodic basis all institutional health services being offered in the state and make public findings as to their appropriateness.
g. Develop and administer a State Medical Facilities Plan as prescribed by Title XVI of P.L. 93-641.
4. The Department of Social and Health Services shall assume all responsibilities which had been exercised by the State Health Planning and Development Office, Office of Community Development.
5. All the physical properties of the State Health Planning and Development Office of the Office of Community Development including furniture, files, papers, memoranda, correspondence and/or other materials, shall be transferred to the Department of Social and Health Services as soon as practicable after July 1, 1977.
6. Executive Order 71-03, dated August 9, 1971, is hereby rescinded.
have hereunto set
my hand and caused the seal of the State of
Washington to be affixed at Olympia this
14th day of September A.D., Nineteen hundred and seventy-seven.
Dixy Lee Ray
Secretary of State
Back to Executive Orders Archive