EXECUTIVE ORDER EO 77-04
DESIGNATING THE DEPARTMENT OF SOCIAL & HEALTH SERVICES AS THE SINGLE STATE PLANNING AGENCY UNDER THE DRUG ABUSE OFFICE AND TREATMENT ACT OF 1972 (P.L. 92-255), AND OTHERWISE IMPLEMENTING THAT ACT AND RESCINDING EO 74-10
WHEREAS, there continues to exist in the State of Washington a serious problem of drug abuse; and
WHEREAS, it is a paramount duty of the state to combat such abuse by every available means; and
WHEREAS, drug abuse prevention requires the development, adoption and implementation of comprehensive and coordinated plans by state and local governments and a state master plan; and
WHEREAS, the public interest of the citizens of the State of Washington requires that there be a full and effective implementation of the provisions of the Drug Abuse Office and Treatment Act of 1972 (P.L. 92-255), accomplished through a unified administrative and planning program.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Dixy Lee Ray, by virtue of the authority vested in me as Governor of the State of Washington, do hereby proclaim the following Executive Order:
1. The Department of Social and Health Services is hereby designated, effective July 1, 1977 as the single state agency responsible for the preparation and administration of the comprehensive State Plan for drug abuse prevention, pursuant to the Drug Abuse Office and Treatment Act of 1972 (P.L. 92-255), as now or hereafter amended. As the single state agency, it shall be responsible for the general monitoring, review evaluation general evaluation and approval of all state drug abuse prevention activities and programs, and the coordination of those activities with and among other units of government. It may apply on behalf of the State of Washington, of for grants authorized by the Drug Abuse Office and Treatment Act of 1972, and carry out all duties and responsibilities required by such Act and by regulations promulgated pursuant thereto. The Secretary of the Department of Social and Health Services is authorized to take any steps necessary to qualify for federal and any other funds to carry out the purposes of this Executive Order.
2. The Department of Social and Health Services shall have the primary responsibility to develop, implement and revise as necessary the comprehensive State Plan for drug abuse prevention; shall make provision for the involvement of all citizens of the state; and shall cooperate closely with affected state agencies and offices in such development, implementation and revision. The State Plan shall describe anticipated state drug abuse prevention programs, establish priorities for various drug abuse activities and recommend to the Governor, the legislature and the people of the State of Washington policies of the state regarding drug abuse prevention. When approved by the Governor, the State Plan shall constitute the Governor's recommendations to all affected state agencies and to the Office of Fiscal Management for the determination of allocations of state and federal resources for drug abuse prevention, treatment, education and control.
3. The Department of Social and Health Services shall assume all responsibilities of the Drug Abuse Prevention Office, Planning and Community Affairs fairs Agency, it being the intent, however, that only those activities being operated within the Office of Community Development are transferred.
4. The Secretary of the Department of Social and Health Services shall establish a State Drug Abuse Advisory Committee pursuant to RCW 43.20A.360 to meet the requirements of P. L. 92-255. The members of the Governor's Advisory Council on Drug Abuse Prevention created by Executive Order 74-10 shall perform the requisite advisory function until the establishment of the State Drug Abuse Advisory Committee not later than December 31, 1977. Upon the establishment of the State Drug Abuse Advisory Committee, the Governor's Advisory Council on Drug Abuse Prevention shall be dissolved.
5. All of the physical properties including files, papers, memoranda, correspondence and/or other materials, if any, in the possession of the Office of Community Development as a result of the Drug Abuse Prevention Office and its activities shall be transferred to the Department of Social and Health Services as soon as practicable after July 1, 1977.
6. Executive Order No. 74-10, dated June 11, 1974, is hereby rescinded.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto
set my hand and caused the seal of the State
of Washington to be affixed at Olympia
this 30th day of June A.D., Nineteen hundred and seventy-seven.
DIXY LEE RAY
Governor of Washington
BY THE GOVERNOR:
Secretary of State
Back to Executive Orders Archive