WHEREAS, Washington has been a national leader in health care policy and has been in the forefront of providing access to health care for individuals, families and children.
WHEREAS, we face renewed pressure on our health care system from rising health care costs, continuing access and affordability issues, and fiscal constraints.
WHEREAS, it is in the interests of our citizens that we reaffirm our commitment to the health care needs of the citizens of Washington and to the continuing development and implementation of sound health care policy and purchasing strategies.
WHEREAS, coordinating the efforts of state agencies responsible for developing and implementing various aspects of health policy will allow Washington to continue its progress toward our health policy goals of providing access to appropriate, cost effective, quality health care and public health care services to the citizens of Washington.
NOW THEREFORE, I, Gary Locke, Governor of the State of Washington, by virtue of the power vested in me, do hereby create the Governor's Health Care Subcabinet and direct the following:
- The Administrator for the Washington State Health Care Authority shall serve as chair of the Governor's Health Care Subcabinet and shall be responsible for convening and coordinating the activities of this group.
- The Governor's Health Care Subcabinet shall be composed of representatives from the following state agencies and offices: Washington State Health Care Authority; Department of Health; State Board of Health; Department of Social & Health Services; Governor's Executive Policy Office; Office of Financial Management; Department of Labor & Industries; Department of Corrections; Department of Veteran's Affairs; Office of the Insurance Commissioner.
- The purpose of the Governor's Health Care Subcabinet is to develop and coordinate state health care policy and purchasing strategies. The Governor's Health Care Subcabinet is intended to provide a forum for the exchange of information and to coordinate statewide efforts to provide appropriate, available, cost effective, quality health care and public health care services to the citizens of Washington.
- Executive Order 88-10, "Establishing the Governor's Health Policy Group," is hereby rescinded.
- This executive order shall take effect immediately.