Drug and alcohol abuse are serious problems in Washington State for which there is no simple solution. Government, private industry, schools and citizens must each do their part to minimize the problem through innovative and well-directed strategies. The Governor's Alliance Against Drugs will help improve cooperation between diverse segments of the community in breaking the drug abuse chain by calling public attention to the crisis and helping people to avoid drug use.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Booth Gardner, Governor of the State of Washington, do hereby establish the Governor's Alliance Against Drugs, as follows:
A. The Alliance shall be composed of not more than twenty-five members, to be appointed by the Governor. The Governor shall serve as Chair and shall appoint a Vice-Chair and three additional members to serve as a five-member Executive Committee of the Alliance. A majority of the Alliance shall constitute a quorum and a majority of those present can approve Alliance action.
B. Members of the Alliance shall represent business, local and state government, citizen groups, and other interested persons. Four legislators, two members from the Senate and two from the House, shall serve as ex-officio members of the Alliance.
C. The Alliance will have five primary responsibilities:
1. Raise awareness and change attitudes toward drug use through a speakers' bureau to send Alliance members to school assemblies, business meetings and community gatherings.
2. Attract the resources to mount a long-lasting program by soliciting contributions from private businesses and foundations for anti-drug programs.
3. Produce public service announcements and handle media relations to increase visibility of the problem of drug abuse.
4. Coordinate anti-drug activities of state and local agencies through a central clearing house of information.
5. Encourage schools and police to work together to prevent drug and alcohol abuse.
D. Administration. The Alliance will be administered through the Department of Community Development with support staff from the Washington State Traffic Safety Commission and the Department of Social and Health Services.
E. The Governor's Alliance Against Drugs created by this Executive Order shall complete its responsibilities prior to June 30, 1988, and will automatically cease operation and be disbanded on July 1, 1988.
F. This Executive Order is effective immediately.
have hereunto set
my hand and caused the seal of the State of
Washington to be affixed at Olympia this
27th day of February A.D., Nineteen hundred and eighty-seven.
Secretary of State