The policy of the state of Washington in to promote full participation and equal opportunity for all people with disabilities. The Washington State Employment Security Department has made a distinguished contribution to achieving equality for the disabled through support and funding of its ad hoc Committee on Employment of the Handicapped (GCEH). Recognizing the value of the Committee's achievements, this order establishes it formally in order to ensure that its efforts continue.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, John Spellman, Governor of the state of Washington, by virtue of the authority vested in me, do hereby order the following:
1. That a Governor's Committee on Employment of the Handicapped (the "Committee") be established;
2. That the Committee serve as a forum in which concerned citizens may continue to work cooperatively and to provide leadership in addressing the rights, responsibilities, and needs of those with disabilities, so that opportunities for employment, employability, and independence may be enhanced;
3. That the Chairperson and the members 'of the Committee be appointed by the Governor; and that:
(a) At least one-half of the Committee's membership shall be those who are disabled or their family members;
(b) The Committee's membership shall be representative of a wide variety of physical, sensory, and mental disabilities and those with diverse viewpoints regarding the needs and rights of people with disabilities;
(c) The Committee's membership shall, to the extent possible, include and represent diverse geographic areas and socioeconomic groups of our state;
4. That the Committee's duties include advising the Governor and other agencies whose programs and services affect the needs and rights of those with disabilities; the Committee may also provide assistance to employers and others interested in promoting the Independence and employment of those who are disabled;5. That the Department of Employment Security shall be the lead agency in providing fiscal and administrative support to the Committee, including:
(a) Providing direct fiscal and administrative support; (b) Seeking and securing, as necessary, additional support for the Committee from other agencies serving those with disabilities; (c) Coordinating the fiscal and administrative support that all other agencies and sources provide to the Committee.
6. That the Committee may also accept support and assistance from other agencies that serve those with disabilities.
have hereunto set
my hand and caused the seal of the State of
Washington to be affixed at Olympia this
27th day of May A.D., Nineteen hundred and eighty-three.
Secretary of State