The policy of the State of Washington has for many years been to vigorously support affirmative action programs in all areas of state government that are designed to afford all citizens of the state an opportunity for full participation in our free enterprise system. This policy, previously expressed in Executive Order 75-10, has been implemented through the promotion of a minority business program which must now be strengthened by seeking to more actively involve minority businesses in state government contract procurement.
State goals for affirmative action in employment establish a minimum level for employment of minorities which is proportionate to each minority's population in the state. In accordance with this general goal, this Executive Order will establish an equivalent goal for minority business participation in state contracts and sub-contracts awarded for public works and for the purchase of goods and services.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Daniel J. Evans, Governor of the State of Washington, do hereby order and direct the following:
I. Agency Minority Contract Procurement Plan
In consultation with the Department of Commerce and Economic Development, Office of Minority Business Development, each agency shall develop a minority contract procurement plan to ensure minority business participation in agency purchasing and contracting. This plan shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
1. An up to date and complete listing of all minority businesses that operate within the respective agency's service area.
2. Specific staff designation for the continuing responsibility of maintaining those agency programs and policies which provide for effective minority business competition for agency contracts.
3. The development of contractor specifications which will promote the participation of minority firms in the awarding of subcontracts.
4. Where agency minority contract participation cannot meet the goal of this executive order, a set aside program whereby minority contractor participation will be attained.
5. A complete record of minority contracts awarded, including the dollar amounts and the percentage of total agency contract dollars awarded to minority firms.
II. Reporting Responsibility All agencies of state government shall report annually to the Office of Program Planning and Fiscal Management, Accounting Division, the total number of contracts, and the dollar amounts, awarded by that agency to minority businesses. This report shall be available to the public.
have hereunto set
my hand and caused the seal of the State of
Washington to be affixed at Olympia this
11th day of January A.D., Nineteen hundred and seventy-seven.
Daniel J. Evans
Secretary of State