|Search This Title:|
The Saar Pioneer Cemetery Unmarked Graves Monument index lists individuals interred at this cemetery located in unmarked graves. This monument is located within the cemetery in Kent, King County, Washington. Death dates range from 1877-1936, and 1816 is the earliest birth date shown. Index data was compiled by the South King County Genealogical Society.
There are 89 individuals listed in this index.
This index is in English.
This index is open for research.
“This monument is dedicated in memory of those buried in unmarked graves.”
“This monument is in the process of being erected by South King County Genealogical Society by a grant awarded from 4Culture, King County.”
“When Peter Saar’s wife, Margaret, passed away in 1873 he buried her on their homestead property, the first burial of many to come for that plot of land. There is no evidence that a popular rumor suggesting that a flood in the Kent valley kept Peter from crossing the valley to the Mess Cemetery is true. The first two burials in the Mess Cemetery were in 1878; five years after Margaret died. They were the two young daughters of Julius F. and Anna Klindt Mess; Wilhemine (died 30 June 1878) and Anna (died 5 July 1878).”
“Other early Kent pioneer families found the Saar homestead a convenient location as well and Peter allowed burials on his property without any signs of prejudice. The last known burial was in 1949. “
“On page 24 of A History of Saar Pioneer Cemetery and Its Inhabitants (Copyright 2011) briefly explains the cemetery history:
“The Saar homestead deed from the U. S. Bureau of Land Management was issued on 2 March 1874. The original amount of property included in the deed was 153.35 acres. The cemetery remained on the Saar homestead until 1882 when the homestead was sold to Mary L. Meeker, wife of Marion Meeker, except for the one acre cemetery. Peter sold the cemetery to John Nelson on 6 December 1887. On the same day, John Nelson sold the cemetery to the trustees of the M.E. Church (Methodist Episcopal Church) and their successors. The trustees at the time were T. M. Alvord, William Clark, and S. P. Willis. This was the situation until 212th was extended from Central Avenue up to Benson Avenue at the top of the hill. Prior to this time, access to the cemetery was from 208th across the corral, around the swamp, and up the hill. When 212th was extended, an additional one half acre was added to the south end of the cemetery to provide parking with access to 212th. On 1 December 1987, ownership changed from the M.E. Church to the Kent United Methodist church and the legal description was modified to describe the fence line around the cemetery.”
Directions to the cemetery:
Heading south on Hwy-167 to Kent, take the S. 212th exit and turn east (left) onto S. 212th. You will see the intersection/light at 91st Pl. S. where the Winco Foods driveway is. Turn left into the cemetery parking lot before this intersection. Heading north on Hwy-167 through Kent, take the S. 212th exit and turn left (west) onto S. 212th, the cemetery driveway will be the first driveway on the right, past the Winco Foods driveway.
For additional information about the names listed, contact:
South King County Genealogical Society
PO Box 3174
Kent, WA 98089-0203
Preferred citation: [Identification of item], Saar Pioneer Cemetery Unmarked Graves Memorial Index, Office of Secretary of State, Washington State Archives, Digital Archives, http://www.digitalarchives.wa.gov, [date accessed].
Source: Index and transcription notes were donated to the Washington State Archives by the South King County Genealogical Society, Historical Records Project, February 2012.