Title Info: Seattle City Council, Audio Recordings of Full Council and Committee Meetings, 1971-1977; 1992-2016
On 5/2 at 5:00 PM, Digital Archives will be performing maintenance on several systems. You may experience an interruption of service during this time. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause.
These audio recordings document the Seattle City Council’s Full Council and Council Committee meetings. Original audio recordings are held by the Seattle Municipal Archives date from 1955 to the present and are being converted and added to the WSDA collection as resources allow. An index to the complete SMA audio collections is available at http://clerk.seattle.gov/public/audi1.htm.
The recordings were created by the Office of the City Clerk and Seattle City Council, both of which are part of the Legislative Department in the City of Seattle. The City Clerk maintains the City's legislative records, official filings, and the Seattle Municipal Archives; keeps the minutes of City Council meetings; and provides information services to City agencies and the public. Seattle's first City Charter allowed for a Clerk of the Common Council to be elected by the Council. In 1875 the position of City Clerk became elective and remained so until 1896 when the new Charter designated the Comptroller ex-officio City Clerk. The Comptroller served as City Clerk through 1992. A 1991 City Charter amendment transferred the Comptroller's function to the Department of Finance and the City Clerk's Office became a division of the Legislative Department effective in 1993. The recordings are of Seattle City Council Full Council and Committee Meetings. The City Council is responsible for setting City-wide policy through the adoption of ordinances and resolutions, overseeing the Executive's implementation of policies and programs, and passing the City budget. The first City Charter, in 1869, established a seven member Common Council. In 1890, the new City Charter created a bicameral legislative branch with a nine-member Board of Aldermen and 16-member House of Delegates. The 1896 Charter returned to a single body of 13 members, elected from 11 wards and two at-large. As the number of wards increased, the number of Council members grew to 18 in 1907. A City Charter Amendment in 1910 reduced the number to nine, all elected at large, and made elections non-partisan. In 1946 Council member terms were increased from two years to four years.
For more information or to learn about related records, contact the Washington State Archives, Puget Sound Regional Branch at (425) 564-3940 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Access Restriction Notes:
These records are open for research.
Sources of Transfer
Seattle City Clerk
Audio tapes were digitized by Full Track Productions and indexed by Seattle Municipal Archives staff.
Founded in 1851 by 24 members of the Denny party, the new town was originally named Duwamps but was changed to Seattle in honor of Chief Seathl (Seattle), a Duwamish chief who encouraged positive relations with the white settlers. Seattle was incorporated in 1869 and is the county seat for King County. Its metropolitan area is located between the Puget Sound on the west and Lake Washington on the east.
[Identification of item], Seattle City Council, Audio Recordings of Full Council and Committee Meetings, 1971-1977; 1992-2016, Washington State Archives, Digital Archives, http://digitalarchives.wa.gov, [date accessed].