|Search This Record Series:|
|Record Creator:||Priest Rapids Irrigation District|
These records include the minutes of the Priest Rapids Irrigation District Board meetings from January 04, 1938 through December 11, 1945.
Minutes are the official record of the proceedings of the Board. Minutes may include date, members present, summary of official reports from various departments, budget approvals, and other board business. The records in this collection are indexed by date.
|Related Records:||For more information or to learn about related records, contact the Washington State Archives, Central Regional Branch at (509) 963-2136 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.|
|Access Restriction Notes:||These records are open for research.|
|Source of Transfer||Washington State University
|Notes||Filmed and indexed by Washington State Archives, Imaging and Preservation Services.
|Agency History:||The Priest Rapids Irrigation District, White Bluffs and Hanford, Washington, a quasi-municipal corporation, was first organized by the Benton County Commissioners in 1920, but remained inactive until the early 1930's when it acquired the properties of two bankrupt firms, the Black Rock Power and Irrigation Company and Consumers Ditch Company. From 1931 to 1943 the district operated as a governmental business dealing in irrigation, electrical power and real estate development and known as the Hanford Irrigation Project. In early 1943, the district's properties were taken over by the federal government and were placed under the Manhattan District of the United States Army for use as an atomic energy facility. Because of the confusion caused by the swiftness of the government seizure, the district was not dissolved, nor its assets fully liquidated, until 1951.|
|Preferred Citation:||[Identification of item], Priest Rapids Irrigation District, Board Minutes, 1938-1945, Washington State Archives, Digital Archives, http://digitalarchives.wa.gov, [date accessed].|