Washington's quality of life is determined in large measure by the quality of its environment and natural resources. Because of the increasing pressure of population growth and associated development, the current declines in environmental quality and the increasing loss of habitat will continue unless positive actions are taken in the near future. Such actions must be based on comprehensive data and grounded in close cooperation among diverse interest groups. Such cooperation must be characterized by openness, frankness and mutual supports That cooperation can best be achieved by establishing a formal entity that encourages discussion, study and resolution of ecological matters of concern to all citizens within the State of Washington.
NOW, THEREFORE, I, Booth Gardner, Governor of the State of Washington, do hereby order that:
1. The Washington Environment 2010 Advisory Committee is hereby established.
2. The Governor will be the chair of the Committee. In the Governor's absence, the Director of the Department of Ecology will serve as Chair.
3. Members of the Committee shall represent governments and their diverse interest groups, shall come.from all regions of the state, and shall include individuals from the following communities:tribal government
4. The Committee shall be a forum for considering current and emerging issues in environmental and natural resource management. In cooperation with a steering committee of state agency directors, the 2010 Advisory Committee will develop an action plan that will aid both the public and private sector in setting priorities in pollution prevention, development, and natural resource management.
5. The Committee shall review and assist in the development of Washington's first "State of the Environment" report, propose specific strategies to address major issues, and be actively involved in developing a public involvement plan.
6. The Committee shall meet regularly through December 1989.
7. Support for the 2010 Project will be provided by the Department of Ecology and Region 10 of the EPA. Data and additional support will be provided by a state interagency technical committee and other sources.
have hereunto set
my hand and caused the seal of the State of
Washington to be affixed at Olympia this
15th day of September A.D., Nineteen hundred and eighty-eight.
Secretary of State
Back to Executive Orders Archive