|Search This Record Series:|
|Record Creator:||Vancouver Municipal Government, City Council|
These records include Ordinances 1 through 1763, C-1 through C-448, M-165, and M-365 through M-3681 adopted by the Vancouver City Council during meetings from 1858-1952, 1954, 1957-2004.
|Related Records:||For more information or to learn about related records, contact the Washington State Archives, Southwest Region Branch at (360) 753-1684 or email email@example.com.|
|Access Restriction Notes:||These records are open for research.
|Source of Transfer||Vancouver, City of
|Notes||Historical ordinances contained in this collection may have been repealed, superseded, amended, or otherwise had their legal effect altered by subsequent actions of the creating body. Those seeking the current municipal or county laws should refer directly to the appropriate city, town, or county.
|Agency History:||The area around Point Vancouver, named by British Lt. William Broughton in 1792, has a long history with early European and American exploration. The city was first established in 1825 when Dr. John McLoughlin moved the northwest headquarters of the Hudson's Bay Company inland from Astoria, Oregon. The fort established by McLoughlin became Fort Vancouver. When American troops moved into the area after 49th parallel border was established in 1846, the fort and the nearby settlement were renamed Columbia. However, the city's name was changed back to Vancouver in 1855 and the City of Vancouver was incorporated in 1857. It is the county seat of Clark County.|
|Preferred Citation:||Preferred Citation: [Identification of item], Vancouver City Council, Ordinances, 1858-1952, 1957-2004, Washington State Archives, Digital Archives, http://www.digitalarchives.wa.gov, [date accessed].