|Search This Record Series:|
|Record Creator:||Steilacoom Municipal Government, Town Council|
These records include Ordinances 65 through 1327 enacted by the Steilacoom Town Council for meetings from August 17, 1908, through March 4, 2003. There are large gaps in this collection. With the exception of number 1024, ordinances 681 to 1223 (1979-1998) missing, as are ordinances 103, 104, 119, 193, 194, 195, 640, and 642. Numbers 74, 83, 90 and 97-101, 194, 205, 656, and 673 were not used. Number 196 is found only in part. Ordinances numbered lower than 196 appear in a variety of formats. Some are handwritten, some are newspaper clippings; many are difficult to read. An ordinance may have related resolutions, affidavits or other material attached.
|Related Records:||For more information or to learn about related records, contact the Washington State Archives, Puget Sound Regional Branch at (425) 564-3940 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.|
|Access Restriction Notes:||These records are open for research.
|Source of Transfer||Town of Steilacoom
Steilacoom, Town of
|Notes||Historical ordinances contained in this collection may have been repealed, superseded, amended, or otherwise had their legal effect altered by subsequent actions of the creating body. Those seeking the current municipal or county laws should refer directly to the appropriate city, town, or county.
|Agency History:||After the establishment of nearby Fort Steilacoom in 1849 by the United States Army, Captain Lafayette Balch founded Port Steilacoom in 1850. In 1854, Steilacoom became Washington Territory's first incorporated town. It was the Pierce County seat from 1852 to 1880 when residents voted to move the county seat to Tacoma.|
|Preferred Citation:||Preferred Citation: [Identification of item], Steilacoom Town Council, Ordinances, 1908-2003, Washington State Archives, Digital Archives, http://www.digitalarchives.wa.gov, [date accessed].