|Search This Record Series:|
These records include 1254 photographs collected by the Port of Bellingham from approximately 1900 to 1985. The photographs were assembled by the Port of Bellingham to document various projects and events throughout its history. The photographs were originally donated to the Whatcom Museum located in Bellingham, Washington, and were subsequently donated to the Washington State Archives Northwest Regional Branch also located in Bellingham.
The Port of Bellingham is located in Whatcom County and was established by popular vote on September 14, 1920. With great support from local business leaders, as well as Whatcom County residents, the mission of the Port was to facilitate the development of transportation infrastructure and economic development in and around Bellingham and Whatcom County. It is governed by a three-person, non-partisan elected Board of Commissioners.
Early Port business included the approval of requests to dredge in Bellingham Bay, the building of dockage, warehouses, and storage facilities for deep sea vessels, and the approval of leases for harbor areas. Over time, the Port and its development projects supported growth in canning, shipping, timber, and other local industries. As of 2013, the Port of Bellingham had grown to include the Bellingham International Airport, properties in Bellingham and Blaine, as well as the Bellingham waterfront and the properties that formerly housed the Georgia Pacific and Intalco Aluminum plants.
All records are in English.
These records are open for research.
Photos scanned and indexed by Washington State Archives' Northwest Regional Branch.
Preferred Citation: [Identification of item], Records of the Port of Bellingham, Photographs, 1900-1985, Washington State Archives, Digital Archives, http://www.digitalarchives.wa.gov, [date accessed].
Source: Port of Bellingham, Photographs, 1900-1985. Original records held by Washington State Archives' Northwest Regional Archives, Bellingham, WA.
For more information or to learn about related records, contact the Washington State Archives, Northwest Regional Branch at (360) 650-3125 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.